Saturday, September 30, 2017

Crow Catcher - Curated Quilts Log Cabin Call for Entires



I stumbled upon this Call for Entries from Curated Quilts not that long ago. It started August 31st, so sewists really only had a month to complete their quilt. It's a small size challenge though at 10" square to 16" square.


I wasn't going to making anything for this contest unless I had finished another, larger project I was working on. I found more time for that one than I thought and decided that this contest seemed like fun.
I pulled fabrics from my stash that matched the color palette and discovered a had a bunch of the amazing Kaufman Essex Yarn Dyed Linen! I used that for a neutral but textured background and narrowed down my colored, printed scraps for the log cabin portions.


Just like normal, I started with a drawing. I actually turned this drawing into a full size drawing to see how the pieces would fit together. At 15" it wasn't a big deal to draw larger. I used that drawing to cut pieces of muslin for the log cabin pieces so that I could quilt-as-you-go over the top and not have to worry about cutting the scrap pieces to the right size. Some of the smallest pieces are under a quarter inch!


I had loads of fun creating this mini-quilt! I had never done quilt-as-you-go or pieced so many random pieces without a pattern. I had some fun at the end too and took my quilt for a photo shot around my house!










No comments:

Post a Comment