Saturday, March 19, 2016

Geese in a Monkey Wrench - Challenge 6 of Project Quilting

Happy National Quilting Day!!


I have participated in most of the project quilting challenges from Persimon Dreams. This is my first year participating. It was a blast! I can wait for next year and new challenges.

I started this challenge with the thought that I wanted to combine the monkey wrench and flying geese in a sneaky way. I started with just the center monkey wrench with the geese hidden in the center. Then I remembered seeing a picture captioned "how many flying geese?" and added the outer corners. Then I colored my drawing using my favorite colors (which I have a TON of fabric of).

I believe that your first solution to a problem isn't always the best, soil draw it again but colored it different.
 I also wanted to try doing a positive/negative block and flipped some of the outer geese. I thought that I was satisfied with the design, so started to figure out the sizes of pieces I needed to cut. I figured too different sizes; one with a 2" center and one with a 4" center.
 I left the drawings alone for half a day. When I looked at the drawings again, I decided with a little help, that I like how the border geese on the last drawing give a pointed frame and liked the colors from my first drawing. So, I drew it one more time.

Next, I picked out fabrics from my stash that matched the colors I planned in my drawing.
 I found an awesome tutorial on how to make flying geese 4 at a time! It was super easy that way, and perfect because I had 4 or 8 to make of each kind.
I have made lots of half square triangles before, and decided to use the 4 at a time method since I needed four.
 Here are all the sections - flying geese, half square triangles (for the monkey wrench), and solid pieces.
 I chain piece as much as possible. I feel like it makes everything go quickly and I like how it keeps the pieces in order. I wanted the fabrics to speak for themselves, so a stitched in the ditch to quilt it. I also like how then the front is ghosted on the back.
I really enjoy how it turned out! The finished piece is 16" x 16". I plan on using it as a table topper or possibly a wall hanging.


I create near Madison, WI.

4 comments:

  1. This is so fun! I love your design and those colors!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you enjoy the designing just as much as the quilting. You are very good at both. Love the colors you chose.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoyed watching your process from sketch, fabric pull to completion...very interesting and a lovely finished quilt. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is beautiful! Thanks for sharing the process with us all!

    ReplyDelete